Consumer Empowerment and Leadership Training (CELT), MHAV’s flagship educational program, is four days of workshops designed to give mental health consumers important tools for successful leadership and the skills to make your voice heard. This retreat is designed for those that are further along in their recovery and are contemplating involvement in their communities or in the workforce. Many organizations, facilities and localities are seeking consumers to join their boards, committees, and work groups to improve mental health services and focus on high quality services. Community Service Boards and local Human Rights Committees are required by Virginia law to include consumers in their activities. 19 VCB-approved hours of continuing education credit will be awarded to Virginia Certified Peer Recovery Specialists.
Topics include: Conflict resolution, cultural competency, trauma awareness, history of the mental health consumer movement
- Apr 24-27, 2017 – Harrisonburg
- June 26-29, 2017 – Salem
- Sep 11-14, 2017 – Spring Grove (Surry County)
CELT applicant requirements:
- Complete the application and self-assessment questions
- Proof of Virginia residency (for scholarship applicants only)
- Two references that can attest to the applicant’s individual recovery and qualities in a group dynamic
Total cost for those who do not qualify for a scholarship or choose to self-pay is $500 which includes tuition, meals, & lodging.